Author: Sandy Gardner
Recipe type: Dessert
- 2 cup Flour
- ¼ cup Shortening
- 1 Tbl Baking Powder (Double Acting)
- 1 tsp Salt
- ⅔ cup Milk
- 1 Tbl Confectioners Sugar
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- In a large bowl mix flour, shortening, baking powder, and salt to resemble coarse crumbs with a fork or pastry blender. Add milk, stirring until dough holds together.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- On lightly floured surface, with floured rolling pin, roll half of the dough into 12x9 rectangle. Cut the rectangle into twelve 3x3 squares. Repeat with remaining dough.
- In a 3qt saucepan over medium heat, bring 1½ inches of oil to 375F.
- Fry 2 dough squares at a time in hot oil, turning with slotted spoon as soon as they rise to the surface and turning often until both sides are brown (dough will puff up.)
- Remove puffs to paper towels to drain. Serve warm.
- In small bowl mix sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle on sopapillas and serve.