Wine Country Pears
Author: Noteworthy Two: Recipes from Ravinia
Recipe type: Dessert
- 4 Bosc Pears (Peeled, Halved, & Cored)
- 4 Tbl Butter
- 1-2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1½ sticks Cinnamon
- 2½-3 cups Zinfandel or other Young, Dry Red Wine
- 1 Bay Leaf
- ¾-1 cup Sugar
- 1tsp Fresh Mint
- 1 tsp Cassis
- 1 cup Whipping Cream, Creme Anglaise, or Vanilla Ice Cre
- In large skillet saute pears in butter until lightly browned. Sprinkle with lemon juice to prevent discoloration. Add cinnamon, wine, bay leaf, and sugar. Stir mixture until sugar is dissolved. Cook over low heat until liquid is reduced to syrup, spooning wine over pears occasionally.
- Spoon syrup onto serving plates. Place 1 to 2 pear halves on top. Serve with fresh mint and a few drops of cassis blended with stiffly whipped cream or creme anglaise, or vanilla ice cream.